Changes to the Children’s Savings Account Program
Guaranteed Education Tuition (GET) Savings Program: A Partnership with the Washington Student Achievement Council
Tacoma Housing Authority’s CSA Program will now partner with The Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC). This helps the program evolve into a new, better way to save!
What is the Guaranteed Education Tuition (GET) Program? How Will it Help my Family Save?
The GET program is a Washington 529 college savings plan. Moving forward, all THA children’s savings accounts will be a GET account.
The savings in a GET account grow tax-free and remain tax-free when your child uses it for a variety of education expenses at schools in the U.S. and even abroad. Washington State then guarantees that the value of the account will keep pace with tuition growth of the highest priced Washington public college (UW and WSU). Your child can attend any public, private, community, technical/vocation school in the U.S. and even schools abroad and use their funds to pay for a variety of education expenses.
You can make contributions to an account at any time, in any amount. The most effective way to see your savings grow is to routinely deposit whatever amount you are comfortable with and plan to increase it as you can. Every dollar saved is less a student borrows. In this way, the GET accounts act much like those in our traditional CSA program but with the added feature of a guaranteed value for education expenses that will keep pace with inflation and rising costs.
More information can be found on the GET website.
Attend a free webinar about the GET: https://wastate529.wa.gov/webinars
How it works:
Earn $500 into your GET savings account by:
- Creating a GET account and begin saving. GET accounts must be opened for 2 years before funds can be disbursed.
- Earning your high school accreditation (high school diploma, GED or equivalent)
- Completing the Free Application for Federal Aid (FAFSA)
- Enrolling into a post-secondary program of your choice!
What the program offers:
- Financial education for the whole family
- Financial aid navigation and supports
- College and career navigation and supports
What You Need to do:
For current CSA students who enrolled before January 2021:
- Complete this form to let us know if you choose to stay in the CSA program and continue saving with the GET or if you wish to exit the program.
- Once we have your authorization, we will contact you with further instructions.
New to the program and want to enroll?
This program helps families save for their children’s education after high school. The program is currently available to students who meet the following eligibility:
Be age 18 or younger at time of enrollment
Be a THA tenant in the following THA Family Properties:
- 6th Avenue Apartments
- Arlington Apartments
- Bay Terrace
- Bergerson Terrace
- Dixon Village
- E.B. Wilson Apartments
- Fawcett Apartments
- Hillside Terrace
- G Street Apartments
- K Street Apartments
- Ludwig Apartments
- The Rise at 19th
- Wright Street Apartments
If you meet all of the eligibility requirements, click here to enroll!