Hardship Request

Households who qualify for minimum rent can request a hardship exemption if they are unable to pay their rent. (THA’s Moving to Work plan sets a minimum monthly rent of $25 for senior/disabled households, and $75 for households that are not senior or disabled.)

Hardship exemptions are temporary. The maximum time period will be six consecutive months, and a family can receive only one hardship exemption every two calendar years, beginning with the effective date of the hardship.

During the hardship exemption period, the family’s monthly subsidized rent portion will be reduced to zero. At the point the exemption ceases, the family will be responsible to pay the calculated tenant rent portion or the minimum rent for the household, whichever is higher.

All families who are approved for the hardship exemption will be referred to a community advocate who will provide support in regaining employment and/or receiving benefits for which they qualify.

To find out if you qualify for a hardship exemption, please contact your Housing Specialist, Property Manager, or Property Specialist.

If you do not pay minimum rent but have experienced a reduction in income, you can submit a Change of Circumstance request to see if your portion of the rent can be reduced.

Other Resources

Washington 211
Phone: 211
Dial 2-1-1 to connect with United Way of Pierce County. They can refer you to other places for other sorts of help, including: rent and utility assistance; counseling and mental health services; food and clothing resources; shelter and affordable housing; employment and education services; military/veteran resources; and transportation.
DSHS Emergency Assistance
Medical aid and emergency cash assistance that qualifying families can use for eviction, food, utilities, medical, and other necessities. Families can typically apply for one-time assistance up to $1,250.
Metropolitan Development Council (MDC)
MDC provides a range of services, including behavioral health, education and employment assistance, and rent and utility assistance to people residing in the city of Tacoma.
Pierce County Eviction Prevention Program
From site: The Pierce County Eviction Prevention program supports eligible low-income households with their past due rent. Submitting an application does not guarantee payment and due to limited funding, not all eligible households can be served through this program. (Note: Household cannot be in subsidized unit)