Bay Terrace Phase 2 Ribbon Cutting Review
Senator Patty Murray, Congressmen Denny Heck and Derek Kilmer helped Tacoma Housing Authority (THA), residents and neighbors celebrate the completion of Bay Terrace in Tacoma’s exciting Hilltop neighborhood. The program included remarks from residents, community leaders, and others who made this ambitious development possible. The program featured live music, refreshments from local artisans, and self-guided tours, with Mayor Marilyn Strickland as our Program Emcee.
Bay Terrace is THA’s newest development in the Hilltop. THA demolished 81 old, unsightly public housing units. In their place, in two phases, THA has built a brand new community:
- 144 affordable apartments for a range of incomes
- walking distance to the coming light rail station on MLK Ave.
- walking distance to public schools
- more apartments accessible to persons with disabilities
- financially sustainable operations
- 7,000 sq. foot community building with Head Start classroom, computer lab and meeting space
- appropriately higher density as directed by the city’s comprehensive plan
- environmentally responsible design
- bigger tree canopy
- designed for families, children, teenagers, and grandparents
- outdoor play areas and gathering spaces
- working gardens for residents
- outdoor art