Client FAQs

Moving with Rental Assistance

What is the process for moving?

Give your landlord the legally required written notice that you are planning to move out. THA has an “Intent to Move” form that you can use for this purpose. Once you have given written notice, contact THA for a relocation appointment. 

Where can I move? Do I have to live in Tacoma?

THA’s boundaries include all of the City of Tacoma and a 2.5 mile radius in Pierce County outside the City limits. Section 8 and HOP clients are required to lease a unit within this boundary, unless a reasonable accommodation has been granted, a port-out has been approved, or another housing authority is absorbing the client.

Why can’t I move farther away?

If you want to move more than 2.5 miles outside the City of Tacoma limits, you would need to meet at least one of our Port criteria:

  • An adult household member has gotten a job that is at least 20 hours per week and is located at least 35 miles outside the City of Tacoma limits.
  • An adult household member is enrolled at least part time at a college/university that is at least 35 miles outside the City of Tacoma limits. 
  • A household member has an approved Reasonable Accommodation due to a disability.
  • A household member is a victim of domestic violence and has a situation that is approved through the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA).
  • The household ported in from another housing authority and THA has not absorbed the voucher.
  • The housing authority in the area where the household wants to port to will absorb the voucher.

Meeting one of these criteria does not guarantee you the ability to move outside the city of Tacoma. THA will address these requests on a case-by-case basis. Additional restrictions also apply to porting, contact your Housing Specialist for further direction.

How many bedrooms do I qualify for?

THA’s occupancy standards are one bedroom for every two people in the household, unless program policy states otherwise.

Porting in to THA

Families with a tenant-based housing choice voucher can take the voucher with them when they move, and use it to help pay the rent on their next home or apartment.

Change of Circumstances

How do I report a change in income?

You must complete an online Change of Circumstances form and submit verification of the change to THA within 10 business days after completing the form. 

How do I add or remove someone from my household?

You can request to add or remove someone by completing the online Change of Circumstances form. Except for birth, adoption or court-awarded custody of a child; you must get THA and landlord approval to add someone to your household.

Can I rent to or from a relative?

THA will review any requests for living arrangements made with friends or family on a case-by-case basis. Please contact your Housing Specialist.  

What do I do if my landlord isn’t making repairs?

All repair requests should be made in writing to your landlord or property manager with a copy sent to THA. Please feel free to contact THA or to Washington State Landlord-Tenant law for more information.