James Center North/Aviva Crossing
Tacoma Housing Authority is developing attractive and equitable mixed-use, mixed-income apartments in amenity-rich West Tacoma. The property is located close to transit, shopping, entertainment, and Tacoma Community College. We are excited about expanding our presence into a highly sought after part of Tacoma. We hope this will increase affordable residential and commercial opportunities in West Tacoma.
JCN is an existing commercial center located at 19th and Mildred, across from the Tacoma Community College Campus and Pierce Transit Center. It is within walking distance of a shopping center with a major grocery store, bank and various other services. It is in close proximity to Minette and Titlow park. There are several schools in the area, including Geiger Montessori, Wainwright Middle School and Foss High School.
THA purchased James Center North as it offers a unique opportunity to acquire a property that may be redeveloped to provide both market rate and affordable rental housing in a mixed-use setting that is adjacent to a transit center and within walking distance of grocery stores, parks, a community college and public schools.
Here are some key details about James Center North:
- 600 future units planned
- 30,000 square feet of commercial retail space
- 13 commercial tenants
- Adjacent to Fred Meyer, Starbucks, Rite Aid, FedEx and Chase
- Commercial space will be leased at reasonable rates during pre-development
- Directly across the street from Tacoma Community College
- Tacoma Community College serves over 14,000 students a year. Many whom report lack of housing as a barrier to success
- The Master Planning process for site design of affordable and market-rate apartments began Summer 2018 and was completed in the Spring of 2019
James Center North is 6.92 acres across five parcels, with 62,000 square feet of commercial retail space that is 52% occupied. It is zoned CCX, which is Community Commercial Mixed Use. This designation supports THA’s vision for redeveloping the site with 300 Multifamily Units and Commercial Retail space.