September 24, 2021
Looking for Rental Housing
Resources for Tenant-Landlord Issues & Rights
If you feel your rights have been violated or you have been discriminated:
Disclaimer: THA has prepared these tips to help make your rental experience favorable. We do not provide advice or represent anyone in legal issues.
- Take pictures before you move in and at walk-thru. Leave the home the same way as when you moved in.
- Document all communications with your landlord.
- Always get a receipt for money paid.
- Note problems and tell your landlord within 24 hours.
- DO NOT withhold rent if the landlord is not making repairs.
- Besides losing your deposit, a landlord can place a judgment against you if you cause more damage that is not covered in your deposit.
- Landlords can only enforce rules written in the lease.
- Don’t assume they will keep the entire deposit if you don’t give them full notice — they may work with you.
- A bad rental reference can follow you for years.
- Your deposit CAN be returned when you move out.
- Have the exit walk-thru after your items are out.
- Give the required notice when planning to move out.
- Be honest and try to exit on agreeable terms.
Did You Know?
- Leaving out food, garbage or dirty dishes can attract unwanted smells, insects and critters, causing health concerns.
- Notify your Property Manager if you notice problems in your home (leak, moisture, toilet, mold or mildew).
- Make rent your first priority. If you are going to be a late on your rent, let your landlord know — they may work with you.
- If you break something, then tell the landlord, or tell them you will fix it correctly.
- Quiet hours are from 10 PM to 7 AM. Be considerate. Keep TV, talking, children, vacuuming so others outside cannot hear it.
- All THA properties are SMOKEFREE. This applies to recreational and medical marijuana, cigarettes and cigars. If you have to smoke, do so off the property in designated areas.
- You are responsible for your guests and their actions while they are visiting. Let them know the rules.
- To report public nuisance issues and code violations, renters can call TacomaFIRST by dialing 311 in Tacoma city limits.