Proposed Revisions to Tacoma Housing Authority (THA) Administrative Plan and ACOP
October 9, 2017
The Tacoma Housing Authority (THA) seeks comments and suggestions about three changes it is considering to its housing programs:
- Provide Exit Vouchers to People Moving Out of a Project-Based Voucher (PBV) UnitTHA presently offers a tenant based housing voucher to people moving out of some of its project base voucher apartments. Those apartments are ones that THA recently refinanced under a HUD program called Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD). The RAD rules require THA to offer these vouchers. THA proposes to offer these tenant-based vouchers to people moving out of THA’s other project based apartments and those project-based apartments owned by other organizations or companies.
- Allow THA to Help People Fleeing Disasters Like the Recent HurricanesHurricanes have displaced thousands in our country. THA wants to help, within its means. We propose a new policy to allow THA the discretion to set aside up to 100 vouchers or units per year for households fleeing federally declared disaster areas or to contribute the temporary service of THA staff who volunteer to help stricken housing authorities in those areas.
- Speed Up and Simplify How THA Arrange to Project Based Housing (PBV) VouchersTHA proposes changing how it solicits and selects PBV proposals. Tacoma faces a quickly changing rental market. Rents are rising. Vacancy rates are falling. Households are having a harder time finding housing. THA uses project-based vouchers to put long-term subsidy contracts on housing units. This allows THA to provide affordable housing. THA will modify its policies to allow it to solicit requests for PBVs from owners and to have the discretion to prefer units in existing housing units, as opposed to units that have not yet been constructed. This would make units available more quickly.
These changes would show in THA’s Administrative Plan and Admissions and Continued Occupancy Policy (ACOP).
Submit a Comment
We warmly welcome your comments and suggestions.
Please send them to us by November 10, 2017; 5:00 p.m. You can do that by email, mail or telephone to Ava Pittman at:
- Address: 902 S L StreetTacoma, WA, 98405
- Email: Apittman@tacomahousing.org
- Phone: 253.274.5581
You are also welcome to offer comments to THA’s Board of Commissioners when it considers these changes on November 15, 2017; 4:45 PM at Dixon Village, 5420 S. Stevens in Tacoma.